Monday, November 12, 2007

the right thing is never the easy thing

“I replied, ‘ I will never go there. In a few months I shall be a mother.’ He stood without a work. I thought I should be happy in my triumph over him. But now that the truth was out, and my relatives would hear of it, I felt wretched. Humble as were their circumstances, they had pride in my good character. Now, how could I look them in the face? My self-respect was gone! I had resolved that I would be virtuous, though I was a slave. I has said, ‘Let the storm beat! I will brave it till I die.’ And now, how humiliated I felt!”

This passage uses the honesty of Jacobs that we have been talking about. This honesty does actually establish her credibility.
She does this by telling you why she decides to let herself get pregnant by Mr. Sands, and then the excitement and the good feeling of revenge she thought she would have when she told him. Then she talks about how she had always vowed to be virtuous and now she had betrayed herself by deciding to do this for her freedom. She now knows that her family will find out and now they will be disappointed in her because she was always a good person with good character and now she was having a baby with a random man from town. You can feel her humility because you know that she did something for a good reason but because of what she had to do she is now going to be looked down upon. You can really understand her struggle between what and what not to do.

No comments: