Thursday, February 7, 2008

kendal, kendal. funniest thing of my life

Today in class (aka yesterday considering I’m writing this a day late) we watched all six presentations, and let me tell you, most of them were hilarious. I think almost all of them used a form of humor to get the audience’s attention. Interesting… at least I think so. I thought that doing the commercial in person might dull the connection to the audience. It did not however. I thought that the two commercials done in person were just as effective as the ones that were filmed. Nick Martin’s group used humor when he and Liz were in the truck, saying how it sucked and then were in awe over the ‘Sparrow.’ Kendal’s group used humor with the 80’s Breakfast Club theme. I personally thought that was a unique idea because a lot of kids our age have seen that movie, or can at least relate to the stereotypes. Ethan’s group used the tag line, ‘It makes you do whatever you do, better,’ or something like that, which was funny. Maggie’s group had Brittney as their spokes person being loud and infomercial-ish, while Maggie was ‘asleep.’ Alex’s group also used humor with their ‘Or even if you are just Allie Cunningham and need water to survive.’ I think this shows that humor is an easy and effective form of rhetoric.

2 comments:

mallory Webb said...

why hello jordan! (first time commenting on your blog! woohoo)
well i completely agree with what you had to say about the humor. i think humor is a really effective way to advertise products mainly because it keeps the viewer entertained, engaged, and interested. i dont like to watch boring sappy commercials on tv - i usually change the channel. some action commercials of cars or something like that may catch my eye, but it is usually the randomness or humor that keeps me watching. and i think all the commercials in our class used humor to keep everyone engaged. i mean, obviously, how could you keep your eyes off of the 80's attire in our commercial and the sexy dancing? thats right..you couldnt. and i could not plug my ears when tony yells - here at hat emporium we have over 10,000 hats to choose from!!!! (or something like that), because it was funny. and i now know that there are over 10,000 hats to choose from, and i may go and buy one now. i dont know. im not sure if i'll have enough time.

Liz Watkins said...

I didn't really think about we all used humour in our presentations, but now that you mention it, yeah, we all did. I think it made them all more interesting and effective. Because people nowadays have such short attention spans, you have to keep them interested somehow and not just spout off facts about how great a product is. So using humour keeps people watching because they're having fun watching. Or something like that.