Thursday, February 7, 2008

just like when i was little, but now it costs me $1,000

The Pottery Barn Style article was really interesting because I don’t think about the actual products being a part of rhetoric. I usually think about the décor and the atmosphere of the actual store as rhetoric. The way a magazine is set up helps sell the product. I guess I never thought about how stores sell the same genres of things to get people to buy the products. Stores sell a style of products to get a certain kind of people to get interested and keep coming back. Pottery Barn does sell new items that feel like old items, that are more expensive than if you were to buy them somewhere else, but they are well made, which keeps customers coming back for more. Also because they sell the same kinds of things, people come back because it’s ‘their style’ or they want something to match what they just bought. The article talked some about customer service, which I also think is a big part of rhetoric. The way you handle your customers reflects in your sales, and keeps people coming back.

No comments: