Tuesday, November 25, 2008

i enjoy sitting in the dark by myself.

Acquainted with the Night
Robert Frost
(1874-1963)

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain – and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-by;
And further still at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.



I have been one acquainted with the night also.
The night is the best time for thinking. And this poem by Frost, is all about thinking and being within yourself. Its not about actually walking passed the limits of the city. Its about being so inside of yourself that you continue to walk and wander and think and discuss with yourself. Its about understand who you are, and where you are going, and what it is that you believe in and why it is that you have come to believe it. And this poem kind of reminds me of this summer when I would talk to this friend of mine. And it would be late at night, because he was us an insomniac and was always awake and ready to discuss things. And he would always want to discuss what you believe an how you come to believe it, and how to make sense out of your life… he is kind of deep. But anyway, we would talk about these things and not really come to an answer but because we were discussing them, we came to an understanding. I think I just made myself sound really smart, discussing the meaning of life and all, but it really isn’t that much.

1 comment:

Allie said...

I have been one acquainted with the night as well. It is, for whatever reason, the best time to contemplate life. Remember Florida? That was a whole week of being acquainted with the night. I think it's because it's peaceful. Especially in the Keys where you could just go sit down by the water...it makes you want to do nothing but think. Sometimes this isn't such a great thing because the night can lead to a little too much thinking, but sometimes you find yourself. I know I did.