Tuesday, January 29, 2008

go ahead and objectify me. its expected

I want to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Kilbourne, but I cant. I want to say that I do because obviously as a female I feel the pressures that she talks about. I can’t totally agree with her because I think she exaggerates every idea that she has. Of course she is doing this to make her point stronger. When you use extreme cases to prove your point, more often than not it is actually proven.
I think she looked way too far into some of the ads she talked about. Like the ad with the man boxing a shadow and the shadow was of a woman. I personally think it was actually his shadow. It was the same silhouette as the boxer.
Even though I think she exaggerates her points, I do still agree with her. Women are always and have always been objectified and thought of as property in the media. Industries know that sex sells and they use it to their advantages. One of her strongest points I agree with most; in some ads, there are men violating women and it is to be expected, like the ad with the little boy looking under a woman’s skirt, but if the roles were reversed it is unacceptable.
The other point that I liked was when she said that ads don’t cause violence, it’s when people start taking the ads as the truth and applying them to life that violence occurs.

No comments: