Thursday, May 21, 2009

the fool.

Sooo I lost my short stories. And I knew one was one by Kate Chopin. So I read Beyond the Bayou. And I really really hope that’s it. But if it isn’t, its still by Kate Chopin so I will still compare it.

Okay so here we go. This story is similar to The Awakening because it is about a woman who is out of the ordinary. She is big and stronger than any man. They even call her “La Folle’, the fool, because they think she is crazy. She has lived almost all of her life in fear of what was beyond the bayou, and would never cross it. But when she is faced with the fact that she has to cross it or her beloved Cheri will die, she does it almost blindly. She closes her eyes and lets her senses guide her, out of fear. The fear is what drives her forward. The fear of what will happen to Cheri and the fear of what is ahead. This is a lot like when Edna swims out into the ocean because its empowering and no woman has done it before. She just keeps swimming. They are both very similar in that regard, but Edna dies as a result, and La Folle, conquers a fear.

No comments: