Tuesday, September 9, 2008

stupid selfish girl

Eveline is about a girl who is getting ready to leave her home and bad childhood to be happy with someone who loves her, but then can’t do it.

Who are her brothers?
Why can’t she leave?
If you had such awful memories associated with a place, and had the chance to leave, why wouldn’t you?

Eveline is one of the most selfish characters I have ever read. Usually when you think of a selfish character all they want are material things or wealth or power for themselves. One could argue that if she were to leave her father and everything behind for her own happiness, she would be selfish. She is selfish because she will not leave everything. I think that by staying and letting Frank go, she is selfish. She is not scared or attached to her family. She is selfish and wants to keep her life how she knows it. She doesn’t want to leave the house she grows up in or her daily routine because she would have to start over and establish her own way, instead of following her father.
If I had such a horrible childhood, with an abusive father, and I had the chance to leave I would do it. She thinks that she is helping Frank because she doesn’t know if she loves him. She thinks it would be bad to leave and marry someone she doesn’t love. I think she did love him, and didn’t know it. I think because she had such a bad relationship with her father as a child and grew up for the most part without a mother, she doesn’t know what love is anymore, and cannot connect with Frank because of this. If she would realize that she was doing this, then she could see that leaving with him is the best thing for her. Bottom line. I don’t like her, yet I pity her.

No comments: