Wednesday, May 14, 2008

and we'll keep on fighting to the end?

Joe just wants to get out of the hospital and get back to America. He wants to show people the horrors of the war and he wants to show people that they shouldn’t fight a war if they don’t know what they are fighting for, if the people who are telling you want to fight for aren’t even fighting, what is the point of fighting. He wants you to fight for the right not to fight.
If I were in this position I really don’t know what I would actually do. I’m not a fan of saying ‘I would do this’ because I have no idea if I would really do that. That may be the ideal. It could be what I would want to do, what I would hope to do. But I have no idea if that’s what I would really do. I would hope that I would be wanting to fight for my right to fight. Like Joe, I do think you need a concrete thing to be fighting for and not an abstract idea. Although life is not a concrete idea, if I was lying in a hospital bed, perhaps in Britain, with no arms, no legs, no face, I would fight for my life. I would not let myself die. I would not want my spirit to die. Joe does this too by deciding that he would turn the gun on those making him fight. I would like to think I would turn the gun on those telling me I wasn’t supposed to survive.

No comments: