Thursday, May 21, 2009

this may be hard for you to hear but...

So a time when I felt like I couldn’t be myself. Or was myself…
Okay
Go.

I used to be really good friends with this girl. We did just about everything together. I’m pretty sure we both thought nothing was going to break us up. We laughed, we had fun, we joked around, we sang, we danced, we experienced life together. We were there for each other. Or, I was there for her. I soon realized that for this friendship to work I had to be fully aware and conscience of her feelings. (duh Jordan you are supposed to do that in friendships , right? Yes you are right, but I am talking about OVERLY sensitized feelings) The slightest thing would set her off. She would be upset. I found that we were no longer having fun, but that I was constantly altering what I did or said or how I acted in order to keep her happy. My extreme sarcasm bothered her, because it hurt her feelings. (sarcasm wasn’t her thing) She always thought I was making fun of her. I wasn’t. And she thought I wasn’t considerate of her feelings, when that’s what our entire relationship was. So I wasn’t really being myself. I was being the version of me that tended to someone else’s every emotion. Now try to tell me that’s not emotionally draining. haha

No comments: